FA Cup heartache for the Nash

Curzon Ashton were denied the chance to make FA Cup history after they slipped to a narrow 4-3 second round defeat to League One side AFC Wimbledon in front of a nationwide TV audience at the Tameside Stadium.
A hat-trick for striker Adam Morgan wasn’t enough for Curzon to avoid defeat as the Dons staged a late comeback, scoring three goals in three minutes, before winning the tie in the third minute of added time at the end of the second half.
Curzon started the brighter of the two sides, and opened the scoring from the kick off as Morgan hit a screamer from distance, leaving visiting goalkeeper James Shea with no chance.
Wimbledon almost got a chance to equalize moments later but Dom Poleon’s effort flew just over the bar, as the Nash piled the pressure on their League One opponents. Curzon extended their lead midway through the half as Morgan scored his second goal of the day from close range.
The visitors then searched for a way back into the game, but couldn’t find a way through Curzon’s impressive defence as the Dons applied some pressure of their own through Tom Elliott, who saw his goal-bound shot blocked.
Curzon goalkeeper Hakan Burton was then called into action, producing a superb save to deny the visitors their first goal of the afternoon.
Burton was on hand again moments later, making a great stop to his left before Nash defender Jono Hunt cleared the danger, ensuring the Nash stayed on top going into half time.
Curzon started the second half as they finished the first with some good defending to keep their Football League opponents at bay. Burton then produced a world class save to deny Jake Reeves, tipping the effort over the bar.
Morgan then completed his hat-trick on the hour mark after a superb pull back from Joe Guest found the striker who slotted his effort past Shea in the Dons’ goal.
Curzon were denied the chance to make the score 4-0 after Niall Cummins went down in the penalty area, but any appeals for a spot kick were waved away by referee James Adcock.
Five minutes later and Wimbledon found their way back in to the game with Elliott getting his first goal of the day.
That seemed to spur the visitors on a bit as they scored again moments later through Poleon, before Tyrone Barnett completed a seemingly unlikely comeback for the Dons in a disastrous couple of minutes for the Nash.
The Dons were then close to winning the game, however Elliott’s shot was denied by Burton, allowing Jon Meades in for the rebound but he struck it just wide. Barnett then struck wide with a shot of his own from close range.
Agony then turned into heartbreak for the Nash as Elliot sealed the win for Wimbledon in the final minute of added time to ensure the Dons were safely into round three.