Boxing Day Derby sees Curzon take the points at Bower Fold

After defeat to Boston United, Curzon Ashton bounced back in a festive Tameside Derby against Stalybridge Celtic on Boxing Day, as John Flanagan's side took on Stalybridge Celtic at Bower Fold.
The first chance of the game fell to Celtic 10 minutes in. Dunbar found himself in behind the Curzon back line however his resulting half volleyed effort was well saved by Cameron Mason in the Nash goal.
Five minutes later and Celtic came close again. Debutant Gaskell hit a flat, curling free kick towards goal, which was expertly kept out by the finger tips of Mason who brushed the. ball onto the post and out for a corner.
Despite early pressure from Stalybridge it was  Curzon who took the lead just before the half our mark. A cross from the left was met by the powerful head of Niall Cummins, who gave Shenton in the Celtic net no chance, giving the Nash a 1-0 lead.
Just after netting their first, Curzon quickly found their second through the unlikely source of centre back Jamie Stott. Once again a cross into the box caused the Celtic defence all sorts of problems, as a result Stott was on hand to capitalise on a loose ball and hit a snap shot past Shenton to double Curzon's lead and give him his first goal in a Nash shirt.
The hosts had a chance to half the two goal deficit with five minutes of the first half to play as Wilkins found himself one on one with Mason. Luckily for the Nash the Celtic man could not get the ball out of his feet, resulting in him snatching his shot wide of the mark. A let off for the Nash as they went into the break with their two goal lead in tact.
The second half began with Curzon firmly in the driving seat, keeping the ball well, and denying the hosts any time on the ball.
However, despite the early control Celtic pulled a goal back 15 minutes after the restart. A cross from the right was met by the waiting Chippendale who tapped the ball passed Mason to give the hosts a life line.
In spite of the set back Curzon pushed for a third. A goal mouth scramble could have and maybe should have regained the Nash's two goal advantage, however James Baillie, Joe Guest and Cummins were all denied in a goal mouth scramble by the Celtic defence.
As the game entered the final stages Celtic began to push for an equaliser. Moments before the game entered injury time Honeyball came dangerously close for the hosts as his header crashed against the bar.
Into injury time and Celtic continued to barrage the Curzon penalty area. Mason did he best to ensure the Nash came away with all three points as his superb save from an O'Brien header ended any hopes of an equaliser.
The resilient Nash defence stood strong and were awarded with a hard fought three points in a thrilling Derby match.
The two teams will meet again next time out on the 2nd of January with Curzon playing hosts at the Tameside Stadium.
Courtesy of: